It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:21

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 19:34 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hey how often should I change my rubber? I seem to be losing power last couple of weeks I think...

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 19:55 
Expert Member (SFD)

depends on how much you dive and how well you look after them.

I try to put a new set on my main gun start of each season.

Definitely can feel the difference with a nice new set of rubbers

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 23:32 
Expert Member (SFD)

There is a way of maintaining the rubber to maximum potential instead of replacing evry year, firstly im no pro, I have no idea, I'm a kid so dont take my word.
Now these are some steps into keeping your rubbers in condition. I looked up this online and got advice frome some shop. I suggest buying a new rubber if it is really bad. Although this is some advice for your future rubber and maintaining it.
1. Never EVER lube your gun in vasaline it totally destroys your rubber well id say limmets its life... Look up some agents that if u were to lube a gun is water resistant, anti rust and wont destroy the rubber like vasaline does.
2. take rubber off your gun. Some guns you are able to take the rubber out of the gun, if so these following steps will apply
3. Place the rubbers inside a ziplock bag or really any bag that can camsle out wind / drafts.
4. Place the bag with a rubber inside in draws or a cupboard really anything that isnt exposed to light.

Or if you cant get the rubbers off the gun I suggest storing your gun inside a inclosed space with your gun in the darkness. My friends put there guns in there closet.

Just remember im not that experinced but this method is meant to make your rubber last longer by years in other terms keep your rubbber healthy for that next big snapper you will land. I hope this helped in terms off rubber mantaining if you ever buy a new rubber, sounds like the old one is preety stuffed if it looses its power over time just PLEASE DONT TAKE MY WORD THOUGH dont just go out and buy a new rubber this is just a suggestion towards what you think.
Anyways hope this helped. :P

Personal Instagram: Ben_Ashkanasy
Spearfishing Instagram: BashkainSpearfishing

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 20:43 
Vic Records Officer

I only change my rubbers when they're almost broken, which normally takes a season and a bit. On my most used gun

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 21:57 
Expert Member (SFD)

I change my rubbers when they are full! :shock:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 23:00 
Vice President

That comment was always going to be posted, and i was almost certain it was going to come from you O' Bald One!

On a side note, i freeze my rubbers for future use.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 23:28 
Expert Member (SFD)

Mitch wrote:
That comment was always going to be posted, and i was almost certain it was going to come from you O' Bald One!

On a side note, i freeze my rubbers for future use.

Your gun rubbers? Don't understand why this is so popular, freezing rubber is going to all sorts of microscopic damage to it, sharp little ice crystals growing inside the walls, it's only going to get weaker quicker

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 23:32 
Vice President

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2015, 20:19 
Expert Member (SFD)

thanks guys - I beleive if rubbers are made from natural rubber (gun rubbers or other type) then their main enemy is actually oxygen and uv, thats why one sort of rubbers comes in air free, sun free packages....and why I put my gun in the garage out of the sun.

Not actually sure if gun rubber is made from real rubber or synthetic.

Brett assures my my rubber is perfect - maybe the fact i shoot my spear into the rocks all the time is effecting its straightness and so ability to run cleanly through the rails...I will test it out at the comp next week with a new spear and see if that helps get my power back.