It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 22:01

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous 160 61 62 63 64 Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 23:06 
Novice Member

Muller wrote:
... having 2 big 3 meter Ray's circling me the rest of the dive ....

Found four mutilated stingrays (all large fish) during 4 last dives (at Flinders and at PPB at Mt. Martha). Three with tails cut off, one with deep ~10 cm healed wound on a snout.

- and than apnoea.

Last edited by Caesio on 20 Jan 2016, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 08:29 
Fanatical Senior Member

If I see anyone shooting those big Rays... I will chop you into little bits and feed you to them.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 16:50 
Novice Member

Brett Illingworth wrote:
If I see anyone shooting those big Rays... I will chop you into little bits and feed you to them.

They are so amazing creatures to see... All other fish I found at Mt. Martha dive yesterday (7pm-8:30pm) were small undersized goat fish, young dusky morwong, old wife, way undersized KGW, eastern hulafish and toadfish - nothing to shoot at... Still, astonishing stingrays, huge bull ray, a cuttlefish made my dive enjoyable.
By the way, it was my first encounter with a cuttlefish. It was a great fun to watch it outside of her hideout- more than watching a giant octopus hiding from you in a hole.

- and than apnoea.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 14:17 
Novice Member

Captains log:

Cape Shark area dive on Friday crap vis until we got about 200m off shore then things improved, hardly any fish spotted spent 4 hours chasing some Lj's and Bluethroat, then on the way in stopped for a couple of play dives in the weeds, sunk down to muck around with some wrasse and old wives then just at the end of the breath hold a school of decent size Trevs came meandering through..

Decided that near drowning would be worth it to get a decent Trev so held on. Just as the breath ran out took the shot at one of the bigger ones at the head of the school and made for the surface!!

After a quick couple of breaths to stop the stars dove back down to dispatch the fish and untangle the spear from the weed and what do you know 2 decent Trevs on the one spear! Happy days.

Notable mentions: The older English couple who after asking a couple of quick questions and having no wet-suits, and proclaiming that they couldn't swim very well decided to ignore advice and go snorkeling on the incoming tide and advancing swell....needless to say 5 mins later they where seen leaving the water relatively unharmed..

Boosted's comment: On the stair climb back to the car park, "if you look behind and see I'm not there the key is under the front tyre" Ahh the joy of the Cape Shark stair climb at the end of 4 and a bit hours of diving with a bag full of wet gear and a few kgs of fish...good times!

Attachments:
capeshark.jpg
capeshark.jpg [ 56.08 KiB | Viewed 6303 times ]

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 18:42 
Expert Member (SFD)

They are quite nice trevs.

I hope you are joking about seeing stars. A phrase comes to mind
"No fish is worth your life".

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 19:13 
Vice President

Pitt wrote:
Decided that near drowning would be worth it to get a decent Trev so held on. Just as the breath ran out took the shot at one of the bigger ones at the head of the school and made for the surface!!

After a quick couple of breaths to stop the stars dove back down to dispatch the fish and untangle the spear from the weed and what do you know 2 decent Trevs on the one spear! Happy days.

Mate, exactly what Blacky said - No fish is ever worth your life and it sounds like you came pretty close. Youll come across good fish in your spearfishing career but you wont come across them if you arent alive. Stay safe mate

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 09:08 
Novice Member

Your both absolutely right! No fish is worth your life and I always dive well with-in my limits with safety in mind.

I should have put a footnote at the bottom of that post just in case the kids read it the wrong way..

** Disclaimer all recounts and reports of dive trips may be slightly embellished and exaggerated for narrative dramatic effect** :P

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 08:30 
Vic Records Officer

Take this into consideration: waking up inside an ambulance and then being put into an induced coma then waking up in hospital whilst on life support does not do anyone any favours! It severely effects all your friends and family on a big scale!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 17:59 
Novice Member

Went to Diamond Bay in Mornington Peninsula this weekend to try to limit out on abs. Went in with just my cargo shorts, yellow measuring device, and plastic spatula. Don't have a wetsuit yet.

I'd never dove this site before and it was murky as crap. Visibility was maybe 0 - 2 meters. The churn was aerating the water and the sandy bottom was getting tossed around so it was kinda rough. The big flat rocky area to the right had zero viz, so I diverted to the left, where the viz was 1 meter. I couldn't see the bottom at all from the surface, so I just had to dive down at random locations and comb around the bottom. I didn't have a line so I couldn't mark locations for a second dive, so it was dive, look around, and pluck off the first large ab I see. The swell would then blow me around at the surface so it was difficult to dive back down to the same location. I managed to get two 12cm abs randomly using this stupid technique. Got freaked out a few times after seeing some black shapes (rays) swimming a meter away.

With two abs in my cargo shorts, I moved a bit closer to the left rock. The viz was maybe 2 meters and I stumbled upon some rock channels that were barely visible from the surface, so I swam around that area and wedged myself inside the rock channel so the surge wouldn't blow me away. Found the remaining abs and swam back to shore shivering with abs exploding out my cargo pockets.

On the surface I warmed up and saw a couple in full proper spearo gear walk down and prep. I didn't know that attractive women did this sport... The guy was fit and tall though, unlike my short fat ass.

I figured that they wouldn't like the conditions, and sure enough, as soon as they swam out to the middle into the churn, I could see them bobbing up, probably thinking "this is dumb," and headed right back to their car.

But anyway I got my abs and then my limit of mussels from Rye Pier.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 13:44 
Expert Member (SFD)

Sounds like fun - :lol: - go see Brett and buy a wetsuit.....it will be more fun.

I also like to grab a few mussels of the odd jetty or navigation marker and have often wondered when doing this there is a rule - no gathering shellfish in under 2m of water - does this mean you can gather shellfish as long the water underneath you is 2m + or do you need to be 2m+ under the water when gathering? Perhaps someone wise can answer....

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 08:14 
Expert Member (SFD)

Victorian Recreational Fishing Guide is available as an App on iPhone (not sure about Android etc) and has all the catch limits, seasons and closed dates. For abalone the following information is from this App.
Minimum legal sizes: see map below.
Bag/Possession limit - Port Phillip Bay (in, on or next to the water): 5 (0 greenlip abalone).
Bag/Possession limit - all other Victorian waters (in, on or next to the water): 5 (of which no more than 2 can be greenlip abalone).
Absolute state-wide possession limit: 10 (of which no more than 4 can be greenlip abalone).
Closures: Permanent ban on collection of abalone from the intertidal zone in all Victorian waters ? less than 2 metres deep.
Port Phillip Bay ? Permanent ban on the collection of greenlip abalone.
Central Victorian waters ? permanent closure except on nominated days each year.

Recreational Abalone Open Days for Central Victorian Waters
There is a permanent closed season on the take of abalone from Central Victorian waters, except for nominated open days each year.

The open days for 2015/16 are:

- Every Saturday and Sunday between 16 November 2015 and 30 April 2016, inclusive;
- Every Declared Public Holiday in the State of Victoria between 16 November 2015 and 30 April 2016;
- 25 December 2015 through to the second Sunday in January 2016, inclusive.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 19:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

Good info especially about the app but probably not in the right section (either General or news)

Post subject: Cleaning Mussels?
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 10:03 
Novice Member

Alan M wrote:
Sounds like fun - :lol: - go see Brett and buy a wetsuit.....it will be more fun.

I also like to grab a few mussels of the odd jetty or navigation marker and have often wondered when doing this there is a rule - no gathering shellfish in under 2m of water - does this mean you can gather shellfish as long the water underneath you is 2m + or do you need to be 2m+ under the water when gathering? Perhaps someone wise can answer....

I have one of these wetsuits on order:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skeleton-3mm ... bgDPUZpXQg

It's super cheap so I'm very curious to see how it holds up. The reviews on Amazon (US site) make it seem ok.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the rule. The thing with mussels is that they all stick to pylons that are at, or incredibly close to, the water's surface. My memory's fuzzy, but I don't remember seeing any sticking around at 2M or below. I doubt anyone would ever give you any hassles over mussels though - they're so prolific.

A few things about mussels though:

1. Cleaning them is a HUGE pain in the ass. You have to scrub them with a steel scrubbing pad one by one to get all the gunk off of their shells. Then take pliers and remove the beard. Do this 100x or whatever for a single large pot of mussels.

2. Big shell does NOT equal big meat. Some of the smallest meaty portions have been found in the largest shells.

IMO abalone are kinda perfect. They just sit there in rocks and they're easy to get. A single ab can be cleaned with the meat removed in 3 minutes, so 15 minutes for five abs. Versus ages of cleaning for mussels. Plus no speargun required - plastic spatula is fine.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 16:30 
Expert Member (SFD)

Yeah abs are good maybe I am quicker than that....mussels we steam to open then and take out the meat, take away beard at the same time - maybe 5-10 sec per mussel? We don't clean the outside doing it this way....either that or occasionally sit on coals or bbq to open - same deal no clean outside.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 15:11 
Novice Member

Alan M wrote:
Yeah abs are good maybe I am quicker than that....mussels we steam to open then and take out the meat, take away beard at the same time - maybe 5-10 sec per mussel? We don't clean the outside doing it this way....either that or occasionally sit on coals or bbq to open - same deal no clean outside.

Oh, we chuck the mussels into a stew and then use the stewing broth to make a sauce for pasta, so we kinda need to clean the mussel shells.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous 160 61 62 63 64 Next