It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:47

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 15:06 
Novice Member

Hey guys

Just moved down to Ocean Grove. Went spearing for the first time in years at Clifton Springs near the old jetty and came out with a 40cm flounder and a 50cm morwong. Saw a few flatties that I couldn't hit too. Got me keen as to do a bit more spearing.

I'd really love to spear some squid, it's one of the few things the missus gets excited about if I bring one home. For anything with fins it's a grimace and "make sure you get rid of the mess". Also I can bung squid on a hook and try to catch something decent with a beer in hand.

I don't expect any secret spots but can someone throw me a bone and point me in the right direction for squid? It's driving me nuts.

Location, water depth, temp, tides, season. Berley up? Any tips or techniques in actually finding them?

I've got a kayak for fishing but for spearing I'd prefer shore access. That way I can just jump in the car and go.

PM me if you're worried about it being public knowledge.

Cheers in advance

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 21:44 
Novice Member

Hi Motty,

If you're keen, consider joining up with the Geelong Freedivers, or attending one of the general meetings that we hold. The information that you seek can be found by having a chat over a few beers etc..

Interesting to see you have a kayak. There's a few of us now getting ready to venture out on kayaks around the Bellarine and Surfcoast. If you're keen you'd be welcome to participate in one of our trips..

For the Geelong Freedivers (GFD) take a look at:

https://geelongfreedivers.org.au/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/geelongfreedivers/

Gerard.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2017, 09:50 
Novice Member

Hi all,
I have been reading these forums for a couple months now and finally decided to sign up. Its been a great resource for me as I am completely new to this. I loved snorkelling but never really knew about the diversity of marine life right at our doorstep!
I recently bought some gear and swam out of Rye on Saturday just to get familiar being in the water with a float. Spent over an hour out there, with the majority of the time managing the damn line and managed a massive feed of 2 scallops haha (I just dropped them back).
I’d like to sharpen up my fish ID before I start taking anything. It’d be great if I could tag along with some veterans and just watch and learn and get more information about the sport.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 15:19 
Administrator

Hi Amateur Hour,

Glad that you're finding the info on the forum useful. Other than checking out the Fish ID section, you/everyone is welcome come down to our dive competitions. You can join us for a dive without competing. If you have all the required safety gear and are feeling competitive, you can enter the competition. Otherwise feel free to come to the weigh-ins after each comp. You get to see types and sizes of fish that are weighed in by other divers and enjoy a bbq that we put on.

Hope to see you at one of our events :)

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 08:53 
Novice Member

Hey guys! ^_^

I got into spearfishing last year when I moved from Linden, NSW to Alabama, USA. (bummer I know =( )
I have only been on 2 trips so far, but I've absolutely adored both times! I am trying to learn to freedive in a 40ft freshwater lake near where I live. I plan to get my first "real" freediving/spearfishing wetsuit this summer with a proper gun and fins. I currently just use a Girls 3mm O'Neil Exporer wetsuit and like really cheap scuba short fins.

I'm eager to learn and super excited!!

Be safeee *hugs*,
Makayla

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 11:39 
Administrator

Hi Makayla,

Welcome!

It's good to hear that you are keen on freediving and spearfishing.
The Southern Freedivers are a spearfishing club that are based in Melbourne Australia.
There is some information on spearguns and wetsuits on this forum, however this is tailored towards the local conditions / water temperature.

-Stoj

PostPosted: 18 May 2017, 09:54 
Novice Member

Hi folks,

Just moved down to the Bass Coast from Townsville and keen to learn the spearfishing craft from a few locals. Been snooping around the coast the last few days and amazed at the variety of shore based spearing spots on your doorstop. Noob spearo but relatively confident diver.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2017, 15:10 
Novice Member

Hi all, just joined up now, very excited to be part of it all, been out with a mate in the bay (dromana, mt martha, mornington) for a few shots, had a lot of fun and ate a few good meals out of it. Will post some stuff about getting some gear in the buy part. Till then, happy chatting, diving and eating

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 13:28 
Novice Member

Morning Guys,

New member/diver from S.A (Adelaide.) Got my SS1 certificate a couple of months ago and have been pool and dry static training away but completely new to spearfishing.
Been trawling through the forum for a while just looking for information and thought i better sign up and hopefully even contribute a bit as i go along. Looking to meet people \ dive partners for up the limestone coast/great ocean road (Already love that part of the world and with the great sea life up that way I can see myself spending a fair bit of time in the area.) or anywhere really. I have a history of fishing on top of the water including my boat licence and boat but will be mainly shore diving still while i learn the ropes. Anyway looking forward to learning some more and maybe speaking with and meeting some of the members.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 12:36 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hello all
My name is Richard I'm a new member to southern freedivers i have done about a handful of dives now with one of my mates Geoff who is all so a member on hear and has put me on to the forum.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 22:29 
Fanatical Senior Member

Welcome aboard pal. Now we just need to sharpen your skills so you can go back here and use your own gun to get that giant ROCK flathead :mrgreen:
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 58.05 KiB | Viewed 9147 times ]

Look forward to seeing you dive out of your big boat hopefully soon 8)

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 17:34 
Novice Member

Hi all

Name is Nick and am new to this diving and spearfishing caper. Looking forward to getting out there when the weather clears up. Live in Frankston and as my user name suggests am a chef. Looking forward to meeting new people and learning what ever i can

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 13:30 
Novice Member

Hi guys,
I've just moved back to Melbourne having worked on a spearfishing expedition boat for the past two years. I'm looking to join your club and wondered when the next meeting was? The first Tuesday of next month falls on Tuesday.
Cheers,
Tony

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 12:26 
Novice Member

Hi Guys,
Looking to join and will come along to the November. The first Tuesday is Cup Day - will you shift it to the Wednesday or postpone a week?
I'm available on 0478-721-684
Thanks,
Tony

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 23:23 
Novice Member

hey there everyone,names Amar... been really excited to start spear diving, have all my gear ready to go and have gone out about 3-4 times around altona, not going too far out yet as im just starting to get comfortable with it all, bought a boat recently and have been fishing for the snapper just want to get abit of help and tips on when to dive and where regarding weather conditions.
Im in the inner north western suburbs of Melbourne and wondering if theres many people or clubs around here.

Would love just abit of help even on the behaviour of PPB.

cheers

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next