It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:18

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 18:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

tonypantano wrote:
Hi Guys,
Looking to join and will come along to the November. The first Tuesday is Cup Day - will you shift it to the Wednesday or postpone a week?
I'm available on 0478-721-684
Thanks,
Tony

Hi Tony, meetings are the LAST Tuesday of each month, come along, would be great to meet you!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 13:50 
Administrator

amar.medzic wrote:
hey there everyone,names Amar... been really excited to start spear diving, have all my gear ready to go and have gone out about 3-4 times around altona, not going too far out yet as im just starting to get comfortable with it all, bought a boat recently and have been fishing for the snapper just want to get abit of help and tips on when to dive and where regarding weather conditions.
Im in the inner north western suburbs of Melbourne and wondering if theres many people or clubs around here.

Would love just abit of help even on the behaviour of PPB.

cheers

Hi Amar,

Good to see that you're keen on spearing. There are 3 main spearfishing clubs in Victoria. Southern Freedivers, Geelong freedivers and Club Spearfish.
If you are keen on pure freediving also, there is a Melbourne Freedivers club.
Southern freedivers hold club meetings in Noble Park, Geelong freedivers are based out in Geelong (obviously) and Club spearfish hold their meetings at the Ocean Suits in Hallam.

Southern freedivers focuses on competition and social dives and we find this is a good way to learn targeting a variety of fish.
Feel free to pop into one of our meetings, attend a competition dive (don't need to be competitive to enter) and i'm sure the other clubs will be happy for you to attend their meetings too.

In terms of port phillip bay, its mostly affected by the wind and not affected by swell much. Offshore/low winds are ideal and help with visibility. I.e. Northeries will be better when diving at the top of the bay. The closer you get to the bottom of the bay, the water will be affected by the tides and could have a ripping current on a big tide change. Boats and jetski's are common, especially on the flat days that are good for diving, so ensure you have a float with a dive flag and always dive with a buddy.

Hope this helps and happy spearing!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 14:14 
Novice Member

Hi everyone, my name is Eldon and I’m new to spear fishing. I’ve snorkeled and dove for scallops before but have never tried spear fishing. Im planning a trip up the great ocean road in Early March so hopefully all my gear arrives by then so I can hopefully catch a feed for me and the missus lol. Also been researching some of the spear fishing clubs so I can hook up with some experienceed divers to learn a thing or 2. Cheers everyone stay safe and have fun

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 19:31 
Novice Member

Hey Fellas
I'm new to the game and I'm based in Mornington
have only been out 3 or 4 times but have been fairly lucky I reckon with better fish each time.
I'm only mucking about in shallows and happier doing that atm but need to meet up with other spearos in the area as I reckon I'd feel a bit more comfortable heading deeper.
Hopefully picking up a boat in the not too distant future too so should be fun.
will try to make it to the meeting at end month
cheers
Graham

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2018, 16:13 
Novice Member

Hi all,

My name is Morgan, I got a first feel of spearfishing 4 years ago back in my country (France) but I haven't practiced since I moved to Australia about 3 years...I miss it and am keen to jump into it again.
I went to the club meeting on tuesday 30 of Oct to touch base with people, was great to see how active the club is.

Is it possible for a newbie like me to join the Sorrento comp of the 10-11 Nov on a more social aspect? I mean joining the team and get into the water without actually participate to the competition itself.

How does it all work? I reckon I should become member, pay the fee and then???

Cheers, see you soon in the water,

Morgan

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 12:31 
Novice Member

Hi everyone

My name is Brendon and I am located in latrobe valley
I'm interested in getting out and doing a bit of free diving and spearfishing.
I have only ever done some free diving and snorkeling around the great barrier reef while I was younger.
I have a holiday coming up in a few months to Perth where I plan on doing some spearfishing over there and I'll take some photos and videos if i do any good.
I'd be interested in going out with some more experienced drivers and fishers if anyone is interested in doing a bit of couching possibly?
Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 14:26 
Administrator

Welcome Brendon,

Good to hear you are getting into the sport. Have a browse around the forum, there is lots of info on here. Hopefully others that live close by get in touch with you. Otherwise, we have a monthly meeting and we have our club comps/dives that are a good chance to learn and feel safe that there are other divers in the water too. We post up when we have our meetings and comps, so check out the calendar in the competitions section and hopefully you can come down and dive with us.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 16:20 
Novice Member

[quote="Stoj"]Welcome Brendon,

Good to hear you are getting into the sport. Have a browse around the forum, there is lots of info on here. Hopefully others that live close by get in touch with you. Otherwise, we have a monthly meeting and we have our club comps/dives that are a good chance to learn and feel safe that there are other divers in the water too. We post up when we have our meetings and comps, so check out the calendar in the competitions section and hopefully you can come down and dive with us.[/quote]

Hi mate I appreciate the welcome
I will go check it out now and I will definitely try make it down for a club meeting to check it all out
Thanks

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2019, 06:29 
Novice Member

Hi Stoj
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I will definitely try get down to one of the club meetings and check it all out and meet some of the guys face to face .
Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 21:31 
Novice Member

Hello to all! I'm new here, but very happy to meet you)

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 22:35 
Novice Member

Hi All, I am Bret - new to spearfishing. I surfed a fair bit in my younger years. I live in Mount Eliza and wanted an excuse to be in the water more as I really enjoy it but I am hardly surfing these days.
I have just been getting used to the gear, and being more comfortable and stealth over the last couple of months.
I am keen to meet people in the sport and learn about how to get better.
I am planning on attending the meeting next Tuesday and look forward to meeting some people there.
Cheers.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 20:06 
Novice Member

Hello, My name is San.
I've just recently took up spearfishing in and around Williamstown with an old 90cm Torelli speargun. I am hoping to learn more about the sport in the coming years.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 19:11 
Novice Member

Hi mob, G’day.
You’re gonna hate me.
I currently live in Canberra but I’m coming down to your frozen shores to
pillage what’s left of your paltry seafood stocks. I’ll be down for a week or so around xmas
and I’m bound to take at least three fish in cold blood.
If you see me coming, run me off the road. If I ask for your secret spot, point me to Aspendale fish and chip shop.
If I ask where your scallop grounds are, headbutt me and kick me in the nuts.
I’ll slink back whence I came.
It appears I’m unable to private message till I prove my worth, not much bloody chance of that so I’ll cooee into the hills “Greg, can you message me?”

Andy

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 21:07 
Novice Member

Hi everyone, my names Adam.

I'm joining this forum to meet new people and learn more about the sport of spearfishing.
I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and try to get down to the back beaches of Mornington and the bay as often as I can each summer. I also venture out to the great ocean road side when I can, I went last week but it wasn't even worth jumping in.

I usually shop at Adreno and try and get tips from the guys in there, but it would be great to meet up with some experienced people who could teach me a thing or two.

When I've gone spearing I usually just go from the shore rock hopping but would love to have a go in open water and also get into some cray diving.

the gear I've got:
100cm Rob Allen sparid dual 14 rubbers
90cm Beuchat Marlin grommet dual rubbers
55cm Cressi pneumatic for in the rocks

hopefully, I get to meet some new people.

Cheers

Adam

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2019, 12:40 
Novice Member

Hey guys,

My name is Waanunga and I've been spear fishing on and off for around 3 years and I'm keen to make it a more consistent hobby. Keen to soak up some knowledge to perfect the art that is speakfishing. I suppose the next thing is to attend a meeting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next