It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:50

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Mussels?
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 09:43 
Novice Member

So I never really here of people getting many mussels in PPB but last time I went out I noticed heaps of them. Just wondering if people have any good recipes as going back tomorrow and figure I will get a heap to cook up.

Post subject: Re: Mussels?
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 10:35 
Expert Member (SFD)

From the master of Seafood Rick Stein, one of my favourite recipes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/moulesmarinierewithc_71787

Quote:
Ingredients
1.75kg/4lb mussels
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
15g/½oz butter
a bouquet garni of parsley, thyme and bay leaves
100ml/3½fl oz dry white wine or cider
120ml/4fl oz double cream
handful of parsley leaves, coarsley chopped
crusty bread, to serve
Preparation method
Wash the mussels under plenty of cold, running water. Discard any open ones that won't close when lightly squeezed.
Pull out the tough, fibrous beards protruding from between the tightly closed shells and then knock off any barnacles with a large knife. Give the mussels another quick rinse to remove any little pieces of shell.
Soften the garlic and shallots in the butter with the bouquet garni, in a large pan big enough to take all the mussels - it should only be half full.
Add the mussels and wine or cider, turn up the heat, then cover and steam them open in their own juices for 3-4 minutes. Give the pan a good shake every now and then.
Remove the bouquet garni, add the cream and chopped parsley and remove from the heat.
Spoon into four large warmed bowls and serve with lots of crusty bread.

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 10:42 
Novice Member

mmmmmm making me hungry just looking at that recipe. Cant wait to go out and get them now. I know what I will be eating for lunch / dinner over the weekend.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 12:34 
Fanatical Senior Member

I'd be pretty selective about where I collected them. Water quality in the bay has been shit for couple of weeks now. Those mussels have been filtering all the shit that washes in.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 13:24 
Novice Member

Now it doesn't sound as good. Spot is between Frankston and Mornington. Reckon that will be ok?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 22:48 
Expert Member (SFD)

Grabbed a bag from Franggers on 23 December for the uncle / aunty's christmas bbq. They were a bit on the nose but often I reckon thats all the other things growing on the muscles rather than the muscles themselves. It was a beautifully clear day in the bay too, heaps of vis.

I'm too lazy to clean them up, so instead I throw them on a crappy bbq plate as is. Wait until they open and chuck them out if they don't. They don't need much if they're fresh, I rate them over oysters.

I wasn't there to eat any but by all reports the Franggers muscles were yummo.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 08:14 
Novice Member

I have seen a good recipe for BBQ so I might give that a go if i cant be bothered cleaning them. Will try some a few different ways.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 08:23 
Expert Member (SFD)

I definately wouldn't b eating them from anywhere round frankston, u should be only getting them from the top end of the bay were there is heaps of tidal movement.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 13:19 
Forum Member

never done getting own mussels... dont trust a chef to cook mussels for me.. i got sick for 4 days by eating mussels. bloody chef.

yeah better to have variety seafood rather than just spearing the fish.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 15:58 
Novice Member

ate about 20 from daveys bay frankston the other day ....not dead yet.....just chop some chilli garlic pepper white wine tossed in wok'''''easy as that

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 21:45 
Novice Member

had another 20 last night with a mate .........who did eat flatty row cause i told him it is good ...still not dead good mussels

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 14:56 
Novice Member

I cooked mine on the bbq with garlic and butter basically, that way minimum cleaning is needed which I like the idea of. To clean them and use in a rissoto or paella or something would be more effort than id be willing to put in though.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 17:30 

At 5 bucks a KG from the boats, IMHO its not worth the effort of collecting wild ones, and I would imagine that the farmed mussels would be much better than the natural mussels, considering where you collect 'wild' ones from (unless you can find a *really* clean spot), and since the farmers put their ropes where there's good water quality and movement.

My sister recons (and shes in the restaurant 'biz') that the farmed ones are of such good quality you don't even have to worry about turfing the ones which haven't opened, though I've never dared test her theory.

Also farmed ones come pre-cleaned... which is good news for the modern spearo on the go.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 21:51 
Novice Member

ossk...mate i can buy flathead and so on from the shop but its not the same as hunting it my self...feel the love get some mussels .there some good ones in front off storm water drain at olivershill frankston :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 10:12 

Hey, I see what you're saying, I really do. Maybe its my 'gen Y' attitude towards consumerism? :P

idk - around here, the spots where the mussels are there are, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of fish (or maybe ive gone at the wrong time?), and where the fish are theres never any (or very many) mussels.
So if i wanted to gather mussels, I drive to the spot, don't bother with the guns, use more than 5 bucks in fuel - or I can drive 5 minutes from my house and get mussels at 5 bucks a kg (and normally swing by the boats on the way home after diving anyway :D). I've just made a net saving by purchasing them!

Probably not as simple as that for everyone though - to buy mussels at the supermarkets / fishmongers I've seen them for as high as 9 dollars a kg. Screw that for a joke.